Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Handicapped. I dont really like that word.

My mom pointed out yesterday that maybe the exorbitant amount of money needed for the adoption expenses was to make sure that the family proved they could afford to care for a handicapped child. Wow. that took the breath right out of me. Not the thought that the money journey was worth something but that word. Handicapped. Vika's not handicapped. Delayed. yes. Blind. Yes. Handicapped. no. NO. NO. I mean I dont think of blind kids that way. ABBY doesn't like that word either. Or the word blind for that matter. She isn't really blind though so I can see how that bothers her. My Vika is not handicapped she has special needs that will need accommodating but she isn't handicapped. I just don't like that word. One bit.

5 comments:

  1. My dad says he is HandiCappable :) I even did a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi- I'm the mother of a blind child so I have been watching all the blind kids on RR. So happy you are bringing Vika home! I had a hard time accepting the word blind at first but now it's no big deal. My son has light perception and can maybe see big shapes. He is only two so he can't quite tell us yet! So his world is not blackness but he is blind and will be a Braille reader. I tell people proudly that my son is blind be ause I never want him to be ashamed of his blindness. It is a part of him but it does not define him.

    Best of luck to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica -
      You are right and I didn't mean that I didn't like the word blind. I am a braillist for a living and the 4th grader I work with (ABBY) doesn't like the word blind she is visually impaired and she's OK with that but for right now she doesn't see blind as beautiful like we do. And that's OK she is in the 4th grade and that is how she feels. All i do is tell her how positive it can be and move on. I agree being blind is nothing to be ashamed of.

      Delete
  3. How lucky for Vika to have a Mom that is a braillist! And with all your contacts in the blind community she will have so many resources. That is great. And I agree that blind children should be treated like any child. With some modifications blind kids can do just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever need anything brailled for your son...books or anything I can do it and send it to you in the mail!

      Delete